Preliminaries to Tugendhat's theory of Self-consciousness: Dieter Henrich's criticism on the previous theories of the Self-consciousness

Recently, I have begun to read Selbstbewußtsein und Selbstbestimmung (Self-Consciousness and Self-Determination) of a lately dead german philosopher, Ernst Tugendhat, for preparing a seminar on the book. While doing this, I realized that there is a lot of things and names I've even never heard before. So, I thought it might be nice, if I could get some critical feedback or informative indications or pathbreaking suggestions from my beloved colleagues in our forum 서강올빼미 on what I am going to summarize. I also want to express apologies to those who should bare my terrible English beforehand. Writing this in English would be with no reason at all, but that I just wanted to practice to use English in written form when I started this paper. So, by any chance It could be changed to another language. Of course, some corrections or suggestions for expression would be fantastic for me.

Tugendhat reviews among others the position of Dieter Henrich who was, according to him, the chief of the "Heidelberg School (Heidelberger Schule)" of the self-consciousness. His work and works of his disciples provided a systematic model of the structure of the self-consciousness, reviewing and mostly criticizing prominent foregoing thoughts on the topic including Descartes, Locke, Leibniz, Hume, Rousseau, and German idealism. Especially, he and his school dedicated much of their work to Fichte's critical constitution of the problem of the self-consciousness.

According to his framework, there are two main models to analyze the self-consciousness: egological model and non-egological model. The egological model is traditional one for many modern philosophers to explain the phenomenon of the self-consciousness. It depends basically on the idea that the self-consciousness is a result of the act of reflection of one's ego (not in Freudian sense, but in egological sense which is almost equivalent to the theory of subject emerging from Descartes, as I guess). On the other hand, the non-egological model argues that it is just a subjectless phenomenon without any devotion of reflective action of the self.

Henrich divided the egological position into two sub-models: the reflection model and Fichte's model named by him as the production model. Following the first model, the self-consciousness comes from the act of reflection of the self based on the subject-object relation that can be seen in the long traditional thought of idealism from Descartes to Hegel (but in this matter particularly also including Locke, Hume, and other empiricists).

This model was fundamentally criticized by Fichte. He argued that the act of reflection itself requires the existence of the self-consciousness. Explaining the self-consciousness with the reflection fails because of this circular construction of the self. This is just a circular reasoning, explaining nothing about the self-consciousness itself. His alternative solution takes the Self, the I (das Ich), as a starting point. The Self posits the Non-I (das Nicht-Ich) first and from this positing (Setzungsakt), it proceeds to product the knowledge of self-consciousness.

In Henrich's view, however, the production model of Fichte also cannot be successful, since it is circular just as the reflection model he criticized. He maintained that the Self should entail the knowledge of itself from the outset to make it possible for it to come to the self-knowledge through the positing (Satzungsakt).

On the contrary, the non-egological model of Brentano, Schmalenbach (who the hell he is), and Sartre takes no account of reflection of the self to explain the self-consciousness. The consciousness is, according to this, a respectively occurring relation of content or data to itself in each case. The self-consciosness is, then, an objective process of those particular elements of the consciousness.

Henrich thinks that this model cannot give an account of our daily experience of the consciousness and the self-consciousness altogether. The consciousness is being aware of the relation between various givenness and the factual appearance of the self cannot be occur without one given thing to be distinguished from other givenness. In the view of the non-egological model, this phenomenon cannot be explained in terms of absence of distinguishing and synthesizing things.

His framework helps to understand the fact that the self has its own structure. In this respect, it might be that his critics on previous theories of the self-consciouness have a great effect on what Tugendhat sets out to do.

2개의 좋아요

I am not very familiar with some of these theories, but here are things that I have in mind:

I am not sure why you are bringing in Freud in particular. Did you want to say it is not empirical?

If there is a self (which I presume you do), how can it be a subjectless pheonomenon?

Hegel's notion of self-consciousness comes from the act of reflection of the self based on teh subject-object relation? I am genuinely curious. Does Henrich or Tugenhat say that?

I am confused. I thought the model you are referring to is a model that grounds the self-consciousness on the subject-object relation? I think that's more than just a reflection, and it sounds like (at least to me) you are reducing it to a reflection in general.

Not that I know of. In the Foundation of the Entire Wissenschaftslehre, Fichte derives "I=I" from the first principle (principle of identity) and the Not-I from the second principle. So self-consciousness doesn't seem to arise from the Not-I, if not opposite.

But I thought that was the whole point of Fichte's derivation in his Foundation of the Entire Wissenschaftslehre? The absolute I cannot posit the principle of identity if it were not the self-knowledge. But we all agree on the principle of identity. Therefore the absolute I has the self-knowledge. I don't see why this view is incompatible with Henrich's.

We didn't really understand the fact that the self has its own structure before Henrich's framework? I thought philosophers all agreed on the fact that the self has its structure; they just disagree on how it is structured.

3개의 좋아요

I like to express my gratitude for your comments. It helped for me to see which part was not formulated clear enough to represent the text. Since I am on my way to college on the bus, I will just try to answer few questions of yours as long as possible. The rest would be followed soon hopefully.

1. The context in which Freud is mentioned is about to explain the egological model in contrast to the non-ecological model. The concept of the ego for Freud is featured mainly by its constructive constitution of the Self. It means roughly that our self has deeper structure such as in relation to its unconsciousness and subconsciousness. But the theory of the subject found in Descartes for example does not consider the construct of self itself and the concept of the ego in the egology is also based on this sheer level of the consciousness. So, it should be understood totally different. I dropped the name of Freud because I personally think that the terminology Ego is for many people more familiar with the theory of Freud.

2. Well, first of all, in this text there is no presentation of my own view on the consciousness problems. Maybe it could reflect some of my view, but that is not the intention of it. And second, the sujectlessness comes out the context where the non-egological model is explained. As next paragraphs has it detailed, the consciousness is for this modell just a bundle of many data and a quasi-epiphenomen of this flux, not a real entity, as I understand it. So, there is no subject according to this model.

3. It is basically Henrich‘s formulation on Fichte‘s criticism on Hegel on this theme. I would give you reference for it later.

I should jump out soon. So see ya later.

2개의 좋아요
  1. Freud has a very peculiar view of the self, e.g. being in charge of repression. If you say it is not Freudian, it may sound like your notion of the self is not in charge of repression. And the notion of repression is not present in modern philosophy, let alone Freudian unconcious (only the notion of sub-conscious is present). So the explanation through Freud, I think, does more harm than good.

2. This is a good explanation, which I think you should incorporate in your essay. One way of doing that will be like: "how can there be a subjectless phenomenon? Doesn't the notion of the self involve the subject?" and then answer these questions by your explanations, e.g. entity issue (though I am still not sure why a bundle of data cannot be an entity).

3. I am confused. Fichte grounds self-conscoiusness on the subject-object relation. If Hegel criticizes it, doesn't that mean Hegel doesn't have the notion of self-consciousness grounded on teh subject-object relation? I would love to see how this goes.

1개의 좋아요

Well, to the third point, I think I should explain more about what I meant by the subject-object relation in this theory of the self-consciousness. It would be better if this could be done by the next text I will write in few days. Thank you again!