제가 받은 편지에 관하여

제가 예전에 쓴 글을 혹시나하는 마음으로 외국인에게 보냈는데요. 이런 답장을 받았습니다. 제가 외국인에게 이런 답장을 받아본적이 별로 없어서 그러는데 이거 제 글이 좋다는 신호인가요? 순전히 궁금해서 질문탭에 글을 올립니다.

1.첫번째 답장

Hello!

Thank you for your interesting letter about Epicurus on death. Give me a few days to think about how to respond and I'll write you back--

안녕하세요!
에피쿠로스의 죽음에 관한 흥미로운 편지를 보내주어서 감사합니다. 저에게 답장을 생각할 시간을 주신다면 답장을 보내겠습니다.

2.두번째 답장(불필요한 부분 삭제)

Hello and apologies for this late reply!

First, I think you are absolutely right that clever short arguments such as Epicurus's claim that 'Where we are death is not and where death is we are not' cannot possibly remove the fear of death.

And I think you are absolutely right about two more things--the survival instinct as programmed into living things and the difficulty of giving up pleasures for abstract, theoretical reasons that do not feel immediate. However, the very old and ill often do prefer nonexistence to living longer and long for death as a release. (Not all of them of course-- people are different from one another)

So agreed-- Epicurus gives a weak, unpersuasive argument for not fearing death. But his main motive it seems to me is to remove fear of the afterlife especially Hell, an idea used to frighten people into submission he thinks.

More persuasive are Lucretius's arguments in his Epicurean poem De Rerum Natura. There he makes the following points:

Everything in nature has a limited time span, and we are part of nature.
It's bad to have your life cut short when you are young and have not experienced all the pleasures of the world, including having children of your own.
When you are very old and have lived ( as you should) a full and fearless life, you should not try to cling to life and overstay your time at the feast. This is futile and embarassing.
It is dignified as an very old person to make way for future generations- to 'hand on the torch of life'as in a relay race.

All this is much better quality of argument, I think-- and maybe you will agree?

With best regards, and thanks again for writing,
Catherine Wilson

안녕하세요. 늦게 답장한것에 사과드립니다!

첫번째로 저는 "죽음이 존재할때는 우리가 없으며 죽음이 있을때는 우리가 없다는"같은 에피쿠로스의 현명하면서 짧은 주장으론 죽음의 공포를 없애게 할수없다는 당신의 주장이 절대적으로 옳다고 생각합니다.

그리고 당신이 두가지 더 절대적으로 옳다고 생각하는데요.--생명체들안에 프로그램된 생존 본능과 즉각적으로 느껴지지 않는 이론적이고 추상적인 근거를 기반으로 기쁨을 포기하는 것의 어려움에 관해서 말입니다. 그러나 아주 늙고 병든 사람들은 종종 비존재를 더오래 사는것보다 선호하며 죽음을 해방으로써 갈망하기도 합니다.(물론 전부는 아닙니다.--사람들은 서로 서로와 다르니까요.)

그러니 동의합니다.--에피쿠로스의 죽음을 두려워하지 말라는 논증은 약하고 설득력 없습니다.그러나 저에게는 그의 주된 목적은 사후세계의 두려움 특히 지옥의 두려움 같이 사람들을 굴복 시키는것으로 생각되는것을 없애는것으로 보입니다.

훨신 설득력 있는것은 루크레티우스의 에피쿠로스 시 De Rerum Natura에 있습니다. 거기서 그는 다음과 같은 논점을 제시합니다.

자연에 있는 모든것들은 제한된 시간 범위를 가졌다. 그리고 우리도 자연의 일부이니

당신이 젊었을때 죽게되어 아이를 가지는것을 포함한 모든 세상의 쾌락들을 경험하지 못한다면 당신의 인생이 단명하는것은 나쁜것이로다.

당신이 매우 늙었고 충만하고 후회없는 삶을 살았을때 (당신이 해야하는대로) 당신은 삶에 매달리려서 하면 안되며 잔치에서 시간을 너무 끌어서도 안된다.

이것은 부질없고 창피한 일이니

아주 늙은 사람으로서 미래 세대들을 위하여 길을 비겨주는것은 릴레이 경주에서 삶의 햇불을 건너주는것 처럼 위엄있는 일이로다.

저는 이 모든것이 훨신 나은 논쟁의 질이라고 생각합니다. -- 그리고 아마도 당신도 동의하셨나요?

안부 전합니다. 다시 한번 편지 적어주어서 감사드립니다.

캐서린 윌슨( Catherine Warren Wilson FRSC (born 28 March 1951)[1] is a British/American/Canadian philosopher. She was formerly Anniversary Professor at the University of York and from 2009 to 2012 the Regius Professor of Moral Philosophy at the University of Aberdeen. She is known for her interdisciplinary studies of visuality, moral psychology and aesthetics, and especially early microscopy and Epicurean atomism and materialism.She was Anniversary Professor of Philosophy at the University of York (2012–2018). Before that, she was Regius Professor of Moral Philosophy at the University of Aberdeen (2009–2012).[2] Wilson is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and a former president of Mind Association of Great Britain.)(캐서린 워렌 윌슨 (1951년 3월 28일생)은 영국/미국/캐나다 철학자이며 그녀는 이전에 요크 대학의 명예 교수였으며 2009년부터 2012년까지 애버딘 대학의 도덕철학 흠정강좌 교수였습니다. 그녀는 심상, 도덕 심리학과 미학, 특히 에피쿠로스 원자론과 유물론에 대한 학제간 연구로 유명합니다. 윌슨은 캐나다 왕립학회의 회원이자 전 영국 정신학회 회장입니다.)
출처

3개의 좋아요

Dear professor (8).pdf (79.0 KB)
Dear professor (7).pdf (92.7 KB)
제가 받은 편지들입니다.

1. 에피쿠로스의 논변이 죽음에 대한 공포를 완전히 없애주지 못한다는 취지에 공감한다.
  2. 그러나 에피쿠로스의 논변은 특정한 공포(예컨대 지옥에 대한 공포)를 겨냥하고 있기에, 설사 이것이 약한 논변이라고 하더라도 이것을 과장할 필요는 없다.
  3. 만약 죽음에 대한 공포를 제거하기 위한 더 나은 논변을 찾는다면, 나는 루크레티우스의 논변을 당신에게 추천한다.

이 정도 스탠스로 보입니다. 전체적으로 긍정적인 피드백과 앞으로의 연구를 motivate하는, 교수님 피드백의 모범이네요. 저명한 연구자로부터 세심한 피드백도 받으시고 여러모로 부럽습니다!

1개의 좋아요

ㅎㅎ 감사합니다.