이상룡(2014) "비트겐슈타인의 축 명제"에서 rfm 인용

안녕하세요? 이상룡 선생님의 "비트겐슈타인의 축 명제"를 읽다가 인용 원문을 찾지 못하여 질문을 남기게 되었습니다.

논문 4장의 첫 단락과 두번째 단락(152-153쪽)에 을 인용한 부분이 있습니다. 그런데 이와 관련한 부분을 <수학의 기초에 관한 고찰>에서 찾지 못하고 있습니다.

제가 가지고 있는 책은 서광사에서 나온 박정일 선생님 번역의 <수학의 기초에 관한 고찰>입니다. MIT press에서 Anscombe 번역의 영독대역으로 나온 PDF도 가지고 있습니다.

아래는 논문의 해당 단락입니다. 혹시 아시는 분께서는 관련 정보를 공유해주시면 감사드리겠습니다.

비트겐슈타인에 의하면 우리는 규칙을 기계적으로 따른다. 그리고 이것이 의미하는 바는 우리가 아무 생각없이 규칙을 따른다는 것이 아니라 반성 없이 따른다는 것을 의미한다.(RFM Ⅶ-60) 여기서 말하는 ‘반성’은 곧 해석을 의미한다. 그런데 무반성적 행위가 본능적 성향을 의미하는 것은 아니다. 규칙은 어떤 특정한 방식으로 따를 것을 요구한다. “‘내가 규칙을 볼 때 바로 이것이 규칙이 요구하는 것이다.’ 그것은 내가 이런저런 방식으로 성향 지워져 있느냐에 근거하지 않는다.”(RFM Ⅵ-30) 규칙 따르기, 언어는 기술, 관습과 관련된다. 물론 단순한 리듬을 따라 발을 가볍게 두드리는 것과 같은 단순한 규칙성의 즐거움은 규칙을 따라 행동하기 위한 선행적 단계일 것이다. 그런데 누군가에게 “규칙적으로 발을 두드려라”는 명령에 복종하도록 훈련시키는 것은 특정한 기술과 관련된다.(RFM Ⅵ-43) 한 침팬지가 규칙을 따라 쓰고 있고 다른 침팬지가 그것을 따르고 있다고 말하기 위해서는 일종의 가르침, 모방을 보여주는, 운 좋게 들어맞기도 하고 빗나가기도 하는 시도들, 보상과 처벌과 같은 현상이 관찰되어야 한다.(RFM VI-42)

가르침이 성공하기 위해서는 선생의 가르침에 아이는 어떤 반응을 드러내야 한다. 그리고 선생 역시 아이의 그 반응에 어떤 반응을 드러내야 한다. 그럼으로써 “가르침은 아이의 측면과 선생의 측면에 행위의 일치를 낳는다.”(RFM VI-45) (후략)

3개의 좋아요

One follows the rule mechanically. Hence one compares it with a mechanism.
"Mechanical"--that means: without thinking. But entirely without thinking? Without reflecting.
The explorer might say: "they follow rules, but it looks different from the way it looks among us."
"It--for no reason--intimates this or that to me" means: I can't teach you how I follow the line. I make no presumption that you will follow it as I do, even if you do follow it.

독일어를 원하시는 건 아니라 믿고, 일단 제가 지금 급하게 가야 해서.. 갔다 와서 나머지도 찾아드리겄습니다.

1개의 좋아요

자꾸 절 번호가 자동으로 매겨지는 바람에 42. 43. 45. 로 하는 대신 대괄호를 붙였어요.

[42] Let us consider very simple rules. Let the expression be a figure, say this one:
| --|
and one follows the rule by drawing a straight sequence of such figures (perhaps as an ornament).
| - - || - - || - - || - - || - - |
Under what circumstances should we say: someone gives a rule by writing down such a figure? Under what circumstances: someone is following this rule when he draws that sequence? It is difficult to describe this.
If one of a pair of chimpanzees once scratched the figure | - - | in the earth and thereupon the other the series | - - | | - - | etc., the first would not have given a rule nor would the other be following it, whatever else went on at the same time in the mind of the two of them.
If however there were observed, e.g., the phenomenon of a kind of instruction, of shewing how and of imitation, of lucky and misfiring attempts, of reward and punishment and the like; if at length the one who had been so trained put figures which he had never seen before one after another in sequence as in the first example, then we should probably say that the one chimpanzee was writing rules down, and the other was following them.

[43] But suppose that already the first time the one chimpanzee had purposed to repeat this procedure? Only in a particular technique of
acting, speaking, thinking, can someone purpose something. (This 'can' is the grammatical 'can'.)
It is possible for me to invent a card-game today, which however never gets played. But it means nothing to say: in the history of mankind just once was a game invented, and that game was never played by anyone. That means nothing. Not because it contradicts psychological laws. Only in a quite definite surrounding do the words "invent a game" "play a game" make sense.
In the same way it cannot be said either that just once in the history of mankind did someone follow a sign-post. Whereas it can be said that just once in the history of mankind did some walk parallel with a board. And that first impossibility is again not a psychological one.
The words "language", "proposition", "order", "rule", "calculation", "experiment", "following a rule" relate to a technique, a custom.
A preliminary step towards acting according to a rule would be, say, pleasure in simple regularities such as the tapping out of simple rhythms or drawing or looking at simple ornaments. So one might train someone to obey the order: "draw something regular", "tap regularly". And here again one must imagine a particular technique.
You must ask yourself: under what special circumstances do we say that someone has "made a mere slip of the pen" or "he could perfectly well have gone on, but on purpose did not do so" or "he had meant to repeat the figure that he drew, but he happened not to do it".
The concept "regular tapping", "regular figure", is taught us in the same way as 'light- coloured' or 'dirty' or 'gaudy'.

[45] Suppose however there were a tribe whose people apparently had an understanding of a kind of regularity which I do not grasp. That is they would also have learning and instruction, quite analogous to that in § 42. If one watches them one would say that they follow rules, learn to follow rules. The instruction effects, e.g., agreement in actions on the part of pupil and teacher. But if we look at one of their series of figures we can see no regularity of any kind.

What should we say now? We might say: "They appear to be following a rule which escapes us," but also "Here we have a phenomenon of behaviour on the part of human beings, which we don't understand".

Instruction in acting according to the rule can be described without employing "and so on".

What can be described in this description is a gesture, a tone of voice, a sign which the teacher uses in a particular way in giving instruction, and which the pupils imitate. The effect of these expressions can also

be described, again without calling 'and so on' to our aid, i.e. finitely. The effect of "and so on" will be to produce agreement going beyond what is done in the lessons, with the result that we all or nearly all count the same and calculate the same.

It would be possible, though, to imagine the very instruction without any "and so on" in it. But on leaving school the people would still all calculate the same beyond the examples in the instruction they had had.

Suppose one day instruction no longer produced agreement?

Could there be arithmetic without agreement on the part of calculators?

Could there be only one human being that calculated? Could there be only one that followed a rule?

Are these questions like, say, this one: "Can one man alone engage in commerce?"

It only makes sense to say "and so on" when "and so on" is understood. I.e., when the other is as capable of going on as I am, i.e., does go on just as I do.

Could two people engage in trade with one another?

1개의 좋아요

헉 MIT press에서 나온 판에는 해당 부분이 아예 없군요. 참고문헌에는 blackwell로 되어 있던데 그 판을 찾아봐야겠습니다. 감사합니다.

3개의 좋아요